Lotus notes is a proprietary of IBM, in my previous articles, I have discussed in brief about Lotus notes and its file format. Lotus Notes supports NSF file format.MS Outlook is a popular Email Client developed by Microsoft, it comes with Microsoft Office suite.The file format supported by Outlook is PST.
Consider a situation that you want to access your Lotus Notes Mails in Outlook. Both Email clients’ i.e. Lotus Notes and Outlook support different file formats. In such situation you need to export your Lotus Notes Mail Files to Outlook.
This can be done in two steps:
1. Export Lotus Notes Mail Files.
2. Then, import the exported mail file in Outlook.
The step by step process is described below:
1. Export Lotus Notes Mail Files
1. Open Lotus Notes Application.
2. Click the "Mail" tab
3. Go to “File" option from the menu bar.
4. Then, Click "Export" option to start the "Export" wizard.
After the "Export" wizard starts, you will get several options to choose the format for the exported file from Lotus Notes.
5. Choose "Tabular Text" or "Structured Text;" Both of these formats are supported by Outlook
6. Click “Continue” to go through the export process.
7. Click "Export" to end the wizard and export the mail file.
2. Import the exported mail file in Outlook.
1. Open Microsoft Outlook application.
2.Go to “File" menu then, click "Import and Export option.
3.Click "Next" after the "Import and Export" wizard gets opened.
4.Choose the format you chose to export the file as. Either Choose "Comma Separated Values (Windows)" or "Tab Separated Values (Windows)"
6.Continue through the "Export" wizard, Select and Browse the file exported from Lotus Notes.
This will end the "Import and Export" wizard and the Lotus Notes file will get imported into Outlook. If you want to avoid long sequence of steps then you can convert your Lotus Notes files to importable Microsoft Outlook files using a NSF to PST converter software. These tools let you perform selective conversion of the Lotus Notes mailbox items; Some Conversion software also let you save your NSF file into MSG or EML format.